Saturday, June 7, 2014

Limbo

I feel like that's where I've been. 

A week teaching in North Carolina -- wonderful.

Then a week, staying with The Mama in Michigan, while she's had open heart surgery.
    Not so wonderful.

She's been a champ, in spite of someone cutting into her heart, and replacing a valve. (She says she can "moo" now because the replacement was bovine tissue.) She even said I could show you a photo of her convalescing.


The tubes are pretty much out now, other than some "just in case" spots. She's started walking the hall, getting stronger and eating more each day. The doctor says it's a strong possibility that she can go home tomorrow (Sunday).

Which is great.

 But since Wednesday, my days consist of 1) getting Mom up, 2) getting her down, 3) running to fetch things she forgot, or 4) fill in the blank -- but it's Mom-related.
     I sleep at the hospital. I eat at  the hospital. I exist here...I guess. It's hard to tell.

I miss the Brick desperately. I miss our girlies, our dogs, our life together. I would love to be able to make my own food, to sleep on something besides a converted couch. And best of all, not to have people traipse in at 2:30, 3:30, 5:30 a.m., and so on.

The Mama needs me. She took care of me so often as a kid -- I need to stay now to take care of her.

I will do this, because it's right. But it's a strong reminder that the right things aren't always the easiest to do. 

No comments:

The Crockpot Is My Friend - Redux

 Another goodie from the Brickworks files: Stephanie over at "A Year of Slow Cooking" has made it her goal to use the crockpot e...